Sunday, July 10, 2011

Cattle Call

I got an email about an Open Call for a big gallery in LA, it seemed crazy to go as I was imagining it was going to be like an American Id*l tryout or something...
I sat and thought about it, ok OPEN call means anyone can submit...ANYTHING as long as it fell under these requirements:
" No unfinished, multi-panel work, incomplete work, wet paintings, live animals, or anything considered unsafe.
No smaller then 12"x12"x12" no larger then 8'x8'x58"
At the very least it could be like an American Id*l know the ones we all watch and cringe at as people sing their hearts out only to have bubbles popped.
It seemed strait forward and if I timed it right I could get in line and hope to be one of the first people there....and maybe get something in.
I didn't make up my flip-flop mind until the night before, after a lemondrop and some guacamole.
Hubby said it would be a great mini-adventure, so...
 I matted and framed the work and when I went to go kiss hubby goodnight it was 2am!!
I planned on getting up at 5am to get there two hours before they opened.
Setting the alarm was painful and as soon as I put my head on the pillow the alarm was going off,
 I turned to hubby and said
" boy my three hours just flew by, how about yours?"
We got into the car and he drove us down there arriving in no time flat, we planned on getting breakfast after the intake. I was number 6 in line!!
I knew I at least had a chance to get my stuff looked at, and then possibly accepted into the show.
As time ran by, all the stereotypes of artists showed up, it was great fun to guess which was which.
I chatted in line with the man behind me and we passed the time sharing resources.
Then the staff and tables started to arrive.
The staff put out hanging wire, extra eye screws, etc...I thought that was a nice touch.
An additional piece of paper was handed to all in line (that number was growing rapidly, I would guess there were about 200 people behind me, that I could see)
Cash only and then juror table.
White gloved curators greeted me and asked,
"what process is this"
took measurements of the art,
 and filled out a checklist of the work
After I answered the questions, the work was assessed I was told
"OK, have a beautiful day"
and I was in.
Then I turned to see the SEA of people in line; they seemed to be looking at my face for answers,
was it safe, were mean words said, will they like my art?

image via

As we left to find food, we passed thru Little Thailand
There was an open farmers market and then I saw them, the line of saffron robed monks
with alms bowl in hand.
it was quiet and humbling
it reminded me of the uncertainty that surges thru your mind
how as artists, we are placing our work into the hands of another
asking for them to like it
to connect with it
to validate it
For many of us, we depend on it
Like the monks depend on the kindness of others for food/money

We didn't plan this part of the adventure well and we were both quite hungry and with that comes the fact that we are easily irritated. We drove, strait...direction sought.
We passed right by the walk of fame, then the Kodak theatre, then Grauman's we saw Superman in the street and tour buses and the famous Fredrick's of Hollywood store.
then took Laurel Canyon up and over to Studio City and landed at the deli we all went to after my Uncles funeral a couple of years ago...
it was a mistake.
Bad food, both in choices and taste.
Breakfast was sad and afterwards I took the helm and drove us home.
It had only taken 60 minutes to drive in, but the drive home took over 2hours!

Despite the texting crazy drivers that were causing my blood to boil.
I kept thinking of my little prints against a wall, that kept a smile on my face
A nap and some digestive enzymes made it all into a wonderful dream.

I can't wait for the scene at the reception!

1 comment:

Bead Lola Bead said...

Congratulations!!! =D


Related Posts with Thumbnails