Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Conversations with myself this week

Incoming storm clouds from my patio

So this week has been kind of weird, and I think it all started last weekend....

I had every intention of simply staying home and printing all weekend long. The forecast called for rain and I love the hermitting that rain causes for me.
Like a Sunday morning, laying on the couch reading the newspaper with a cat curled up on my lap encourages me to nap. Simple as that.
Well I got off to a rough start and it bumped along that way the rest of the weekend!
Friday night I did my gallery crawl with the hubby. The first Friday of the month is open gallery night and all the galleries stay open late, SB does it on Thursdays....well this last Friday had a an opening I wanted to see. The VITA Art Center had their March show that focused on the achievements of women. It was a great show and really well attended. I always love to see what people do with a theme (I didn't get my act together in time to meet the deadline for the show)
Art quilts, paintings, assemblage it is all there and beautiful!

The Avenue was buzzing with people at the galleries, I was most struck by the quiet of the panaderias after dark. So lovely.

nighttime Mexican bakery


Saturday got away from me distractions and all...and that afternoon I was headed to the Spring Art show, and the sky opened up and it started to pour! I meandered off to Summerland, but I really just wanted to hermit.
I had an opening to attend so I went...
but as I left I saw a partially naked man walking up the street in the freezing rain (well cold for CA) and I tried to take a picture all casually, but I think he saw me and then he was watching me and it freaked me out...so I locked the doors on the car and drove away.
nearly naked man
I mean he was on a public street and mostly naked for goodness sake! What else should I have done.

Another well attended gallery show at Montecito Frame and Gallery, even on a wet afternoon
I mean water was falling from the sky people!

I spent the rest of Saturday working on my latest Lino under a UV light and continued Sunday morning...then spent all Sunday afternoon printing artist proofs that became an edition.

My latest Linocut, I think I am calling it "Irving"...but that might change as it sits with me.
This is the third in my new series on Fading Memories I am feeling happy with them so far.

Sunday night was Oscars and I stopped working so I could watch. I invited a friend over so we could have a
loud and open dialog with the television and critique the fashion on the red carpet and speeches.
Wheat beer with lemon

Monday kind of sucked, so I got a beer after work with the hubby and some co-workers.
The bar served popcorn with drinks and although I am usually not a fan of popcorn
(I am a little OCD about the whole kernel thing)
It tasted good with the fresh beer and I went with it.

On the way back to the car, I passed a homemade Virgin of Guadalupe shrine.
I love this element of my local culture, although I do not ascribe to the same beliefs, I respect and love these homemade tokens of love and protection.

Miss Gabirella

We got to take our Goddaughter to school this week.
We got to hear her tell us that "I'm really not that awake yet" and listen to her sing and laugh as we passed yawns back and forth.
Dropping her off at school was sort of sad....it will be several days before I get to see her again.
But it made me realize that my week was gonna get much better.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails